Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Bosskey Development Talkback Thread in Off-Topic

Hey everyone, I want to keep the official development thread locked for my use only so that it's easy to see all of the updates as I make them and so that it doesn't get super full of random spam/conversation. HOWEVER I really do want everyone to have a chance to respond to updates and to ask questions and request features and that kind of thing, so I'm making this talkback thread!

Please feel free to use it for the above, but note that if you find a bug or a serious issue that needs fixing, please report it using the feedback form!!! It's not guaranteed that I will see everything that gets posted here, so for important things you should definitely use the form instead of or in addition to this thread.

That's all!! :D

edited by suzubara on March 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM

#
You should totally add a MAL-style database for regular western TV series! xD Nothing simpler, I imagine! Then again, I also imagine unicorns frolicking across fields of lollipops..

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

#
Userlist!

A userlist would be cool.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM

#
[center]Being able to center the text would be sweet.[/center]

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 12:32 AM

#
Is there any way you could make embedding like this,

THIS
<object id="sbPlayer" width="625" height="377" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://comingsoon.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/cs006/71/466325/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://comingsoon.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/cs006/71/466325/" width="625" height="377" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

... work in forum posts? No idea what it's called~

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM

#
I kinda prefer quotes being boxed in; makes nested quotes a bit easier to read imo.

Edit: Oh, and some text somewhere (tab header or whatever) so I know which thread I'm in. If I come here, open 5-6 in different tabs, I have no idea which is which any more.

edited by Higure on April 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

#
What Mash said about the user list, it was one of the first things I noticed the site was lacking.

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM

#
User list is coming. Online user list is coming first, I think.

The kind of embedding you're talking about Dape appears to just be straight HTML embeds, which is exactly what we want to avoid by having a [.youtube] tag.

edited by Joshura on April 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

#
That's cool, I thought as much, it's only because I come across a gazillion videos that are not youtube videos when I link trailers in the movie thread.

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

#
We could probably expand support to some other popular players at some point, but it would be a low priority.

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

#
hey josh. maybe you should design a user list! (both online and full list)

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

#
Monday!

(a year later: lol!)

edited by Joshura on April 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

#
Right now I wish BossKey had a "like a post" -feature :DD
What he said.

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

#
Hah! We have that already, but it's not exactly in the UI perfectly yet. Right now it's just "rate this thread" and like/dislike

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM

#
I think the BBCode should have clickable buttons, and that above the 'Add Reply' there should be a full list of the available BBCode so that you don't have to guess what's available and what is shortened, and also what they do for those that aren't very clear (like [.sup]).

I also think the [.youtube] should be changed from just the video tag to the full address, because it's easier to copy the whole thing and it's also unnecessarily unclear how to make the videos show as it is now. (That tag doesn't work in preview by the way, adding to confusion when you're wondering if you've done it right.)

I also think the spoilers and hidden text both should be redone for clarity - the spoilers are annoying because you have to keep your mouse pointer where you're trying to read and you can't move it away while reading, that's impractical. The hidden text is not actually very clear for someone who's new that it's more than fat text, it should be more obvious that it's clickable.

Posted on April 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

#
All of those are really important points, and they're definitely worth our attention and priority. We're going to have to endure their absence a while a longer, though, as some other things are taken care of first. They are on the list, and coming soon.

BBCode - would it help if there was just more help text? Clickable buttons are a possible future option, but I think for a short term solution, better explanations might do? I don't know what [.sup] does, myself.

The [.youtube] tag is something I have tested extensively, and it has some edits coming. In the end, it should work with a full link, just the code, and possibly in some other potential formats a user might think up.

The [.hidden] tag will be in for similar edits, such as one that includes default text if none is supplied. We're also going to style it as a button, or at least include some help text that says "click to expand" or something of that nature. The [.spoiler] tag is a matter of discussion, I believe. The traditional black text spoiler blocking is extremely useful for in-line hidden text when someone wants to be more subtle like a rogue about their explanations. Do you think it would be okay to have the spoiler tag as is if the hidden tag is more accessible and both have help text explaining their usage?

Posted on April 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM

#
BBCode - absolutely, more text would definitely be helpful and useful. Buttons is a nice extra, but most of all I'd like to see the options and understand what they are.

About hidden - hmm, maybe. It still annoys me quite a lot to have to keep my mouse button on TOP of the text I'm trying to read, especially when it's such a narrow frame (if I move the mouse even slightly away I lose visibility again). Other than that I agree that it's handy.

Posted on April 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

#
As for the black lined spoiler stuff, you can simply highlight the block of text and see what it says as well if holding the mouse in one place is troublesome.

Otherwise, I second everything Nim just mentioned.

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM

#
I haven't visited this site on a mobile phone or ipod yet, it looks like it would be perfect. I'm wondering what the possibilities of seeing bosskey listed/accesible via tapatalk?

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

#
Wow, that's really neat! At first glance, it seems like it'd be a nice thing to have around, but I am pretty sure we wouldn't ever be able to support it.

Mobile development is something still down the road at the moment, but eventually there wil be a fully functioning mobile version of the site so you can interact with everything here without too much trouble. It'll look nice, too! Right now, the site does work mobilely, it's just not entirely pretty.

The problem with attempting to incorporate Tapatalk is that we're using a custom-built forum software, so there's no built-in support from the app or our forum. We could potentially add the functionality at some point in the future, but we'd have to have a really good reason to do so, because it seems like it'd be a lot of work for what might be very little reward. If there's some guarantee that providing the integration would mean more users, maybe it's something we'd look at.

In the meantime, sorry, no :(

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

#

You must be logged in to post in the forums.